Wednesday, April 2, 2008

The Irresistible Revolution

A few months back, I bought a book by a guy called Shane Claiborne. As his quotes and ideas kept popping up among fellow youth pastor and missionary friends, I figured, I'd like to see what else he has to say.

(Shane also happens to be the young man who, as a speaker at the National Youth Workers Convention in Atlanta last fall, controversially devoted all of his speaking time to reading the Sermon on the Mount.)

Well, after letting the book sit on my shelf long enough, I've finally dusted it off and dug in. And, let me say, wow. Just, wow! This is a guy who yearns to live and love like Jesus did. And not in the 'feel spiritual in your Sunday clothes' kind of way, but the 'get down with the poor get your hands dirty' kind of way.

He has a lot to say about poverty, simplicity, and community; the fellowship of interdependence, the suburban isolation of the rich. It's challenging, for sure. But attractive in the sense that he appears to have found something I'm looking for.

I haven't even finished the book yet, but I'm already looking forward to re-reading it. Anybody out there wanna start a book club and discuss it with me?

The Irresistible Revolution: Living as an Ordinary Radical, by Shane Claiborne.

No comments: