Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Worst Day Ever?

This morning, I began reading the book of Job (I had initially planned to do that “Bible in a Year” plan, but it’s been a year, and well, this is as far as I’ve gotten…). I got to the end of chapter one, where Job has just received word that his livestock has been stolen, his servants murdered, and his ten sons and daughters all killed in a freak accident. Now, I’ve had some bad days, but nothing that comes close to this. Now, look at Job’s response:

“At this, Job got up and tore his robe and shaved his head. Then he fell to the ground in worship…”
What, seriously? The man has just received the worst news of his life, and his first response is to worship God. That’s amazing. In my heart, I want to be able to praise God in any circumstance, a feat so much easier said than done. By worshipping in the midst of tragedy, Job shows us that God is so much bigger than our circumstances. Even when we don’t understand what’s happening in our lives, we can still trust that God is good, and loving, and holy.

Job goes on to say,
“Naked I came from my mother’s womb, and naked I will depart. The Lord gave and the Lord has taken away, may the name of the Lord be praised.”
What a perspective… to know and accept that everything we have, even for a short time, is a blessing from the Lord. What humility to know that we aren’t owed anything in this life. What peace to know that, even in difficult circumstances, God is still in control.

I’m not so sure I’m ready to tear my clothes and shave my head, but to be more like Job and respond in worship at all times, through the good and the bad, this is my heart’s true desire.

No comments: