Thursday, May 31, 2007

Encountering the Creator: A Desert Experience

We're back! (Did you even know we were away?) That's right, the hubbo and I just returned from a week-long Utah camping trip, where we celebrated eight wonderful years of marriage (my how the time flies)! We had a great time, packing as many hikes into one week as humanly possible.

First stop: Arches National Park

Far, far away, in the midst of an enormous desert, a collection of rock formations unexpectedly burst forth from the ground. Jagged rock fins create above-ground canyons. Eroded sandstone develops into beautifully shaped arches. Red rock glows against the sapphire blue sky. Waves of sand reflect different hues of green, brown, orange, violet. Though not traditionally beautiful, the landscape is spectacular.


In the midst of such wonder, one cannot help but stop to admire the work of the creator and acknowledge that

"The Lord is the great God, the great King above all gods. In His hand are the depths of the earth, and the mountain peaks belong to Him. The sea is His, for He made it, and His hands formed the dry land." (Psalm 95:3-5)
As I marvel at His creation, I pray through this Psalm and thank Him for bringing me to this spectacular place, to see His creativity and majesty on full display. My heart feels full, and I cannot help but to spontaneously worship.

The next part of the Psalm declares

"Come, let us bow down in worship, let us kneel before the Lord our God our Maker; for He is our God, and we are the people of His pasture, the flock under His care." (Ps. 95:6-7)
Wow... if I could only wrap my mind around this. I am so amazed by something as simple as a rock, yet the crown of God's creation are His children. People. You. Me. Why do I wonder at the majesty of a mountain, yet take for granted the complexity and character of a human being, made in God's very image?


I believe that God created natural wonders to show us something. About Himself; about us. That He delights in beauty; that He wants us to delight in Him. If God cares enough to give us an amazing Earth to explore, how much more does He care about our lives, our passions, hurts, and dreams?

The glory of His creation is no accident; but a whisper, a testimony to His eternal power and divine nature, a beckoning to each of His children...

No comments: