Friday, August 24, 2007

Read this Blog

One of the many random blogs I've happened to stumble upon this year is a gem called Texas in Africa. The author is a young woman who, for her dissertation, travels between Texas and the Congo quite frequently. She describes her site as: "All things Texas, football, music, politics, Africa, & Baptists. In that order."

What's not to like?

Anyways, one of her recent posts, "in black and white", really touched me. She does an amazing job articulating the tension experienced when bouncing between affluence and poverty. I relate to so many of her sentiments, coming back from the world race and trying to figure out what to do with all my experiences.

As she draws the contrasts, I relate to her experience, and relive my own. I particularly experience a sense of yearning, of longing for the simplicity of a life uncluttered by things and the guilt they bring; where people and relationships, and especially God, are more important, more real than the distracting trivialities that one so easily falls into here.

I understand and embrace the caution that:
"If I'm not careful, I'll forget to live as if my choices have consequences for those on the other side of the world. I'll forget to notice the affluence that is so much a part of my daily life. I'll forget to let the contrasts break my heart."

Anyways, this blog is definitely worth a read. Go check it out.

No comments: