Thursday, April 17, 2008

Amazing Grace


As "Amazing Grace" is easily my favorite hymn, and probably my favorite song of all time as well, I was very interested when this movie came out last year. Despite my excitement, I never got around to seeing the movie in the theatre, and I ended up just waiting for it to come around on our Netflix queue.

Well, the movie eventually showed up in our mailbox, so I've finally gotten to watch it for myself. It's rare that a movie surpasses my expectations, but this one did so easily. I found it beautiful, powerful, and enthralling, and I'm so glad I didn't let it slip by! The story of William Wilberforce's haunted obsession to end the slave trade would be compelling even if it weren't true; the fact that it's based on real events only adds to the sense of inspiration.

I love that this film reminds us that what one chooses to devote themselves to in life truly matters. That young people truly can change the world (Wilberforce was only 21 when he was first elected). That despite years of opposition, once can eventually overcome and find success. And most especially, that with enough blood, sweat, tears, and prayer, good can and will overcome evil.

Though there are more people in slavery today than during Wilberforce's time, much good has already come out of the release of this movie. If you're interested, check out the "The Amazing Change" campaign and this book by modern-day abolitionist Zach Hunter, encouraging people everywhere to 'be the change they want to see in this world'.

All in all, I found this movie to be cinematically worthy and personally inspiring. I've got two thumbs, and they're both up.

3 comments:

caljoy said...

I'm like you, wanted to see this flick, didn't get around to it.
So with your reminder and recommendation, I will rent it also and give my thumbs up or down.
thanks

Katherine said...

Movie night at Joy's house! =)

Bonnie said...

I loved the movie and the book. Another excellent read is "Not For Sale" can't remember the author's name.