Friday, February 2, 2007

Playing Through the Pain

My friends, I am in a bad way.

This was my first week at work, but it didn't really go the way I saw it in my mind, mostly because this cold I've had for the last three weeks is still making its happy home in my lungs. Pausing to hork up a small puddle of something that resembles liquefied peas is disgusting enough at home, much less in the company of brand new coworkers.

And it gets worse. Monday, my first day on the job, I was carrying a box of stuff for my office into the church from our house next door. As I'm carrying the box, I am seized by the worst fit of coughing I have ever experienced in my life. By this point, I am convinced that I will cough hard enough to turn myself completely inside out.

But do I put down the box to get control of myself?

No, no I don't.

And so the coughing forces the muscles of my chest and arms to involuntarily bear down...hard. So when the coughing hysteria had finally subsided, my eyes red and bleary with tears, I noticed that the left side of my chest kinda hurt. I took a deep breath and immediately came to notice that it felt like someone stabbing me in the ribs with a pointy stick.

Well, that's odd, I thought to myself. And then I promptly decided to ignore it.

That was three days ago. Each day, the pain has gotten worse. It doesn't hurt all the time; only when I get into certain positions, or sleep on it, or cough, or breathe.

So now, I have this really lousy decision to make several times a day. Do I allow my body to cough and expel the greenish-yellowish goo I'm carrying around in my lungs, or do I fight the urge to cough to stave off the inevitable pain that coughing will bring? Oh, the humanity!!

So just as I was about to feel really, really sorry for myself, I read my Ever-Lovin' Wife's post about Job. Dangit, she's right, I thought. I ought to praise God for His goodness to me, not bemoan my temporary discomfort. He's brought me here to shepherd some amazing teenagers, and he's given me some amazing volunteer youth leaders to shepherd alongside. His blessings are great, and His grace is sufficient for me.

So, I'm off to bed, with a song of praise in my heart. And you know, the pain seems less now; somehow more bearable. Thank you, Lord, for your grace.

That being said, if you feel the urge to pray for my complete, immediate, and total healing, please don't let me stop you.

No comments: