Monday, July 9, 2007

Dream a Little Dream

Have you seen the Sprint wireless commercial with the wavy neon line shapes? It features a voiceover that starts by asking the question, "Think back to when you were a child. What did you dream of as you fell asleep?" You can see it by clicking here, then clicking on See the TV Spots at the bottom of the screen.

Go on, check it out. I'll wait.

Back? Okay then.

The first couple of suggested answers to the childhood dream inquiry (space travel and going back in time) are good ones. But then the ad makes a jump I can't buy. Did any of you ever dream of a magic screen kept in your pocket where you could store your music and photos when you were a child? I used to dream of having a Corvette, of planning the perfect date to sweep a girl off of her feet, of falling in love, of having children, and of maybe someday seeing flying cars and laser guns. Never once as a child did I dream of an iPhone.

I wonder, have childhood dreams been reduced to having the latest whiz-bang entertainment gadgets? Is having a device that "entertains you whenever you want" the highest aspiration of our society?

I don't know. Sometimes I think I should just lighten up and enjoy the flashing colors.

No comments: