Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Feelin' the Love...

About a month ago, I was indulging myself in a pity party (makes sense to me, it's healthier than denial, right?) about how hard it's been to feel connected to the people in my life. Don't get me wrong, I've gotten to know a lot of fantastic people since we moved here a year ago, but I've found very few natural connections (ie running into people at the grocery store, while walking my dog, etc.), and I get overwhelmed by the prospect of having to schedule every social event weeks in advance.

Fortunately for me, my loving husband was able to quickly solve my dilemma and advised me to not feel sorry for myself, but take initiative and see what happened (Yes, there's a bit of sarcasm there... it seems few husbands understand the joy of a good pity party). Anyways, I sucked it up, took his advice and brought home-baked pumpkin bread to two of the families on our street.

I'm happy to say the gesture was well received. The following week, I bumped into one of the ladies and spent a half hour with her on the porch, just chatting. She followed up with a lovely thank you note. The other family had G-Dub and I over for games and dessert, and just stopped by this evening with a plate of the most amazing brownies I've ever tasted (sorry, mom!).

So, let me get this straight... give people food, make friends, get food back... this is looking pretty good to me! Until I am blessed to find some 'workout buddies', I do believe I've found the road to 'fat and happy'!

3 comments:

simivalleyjean said...

Hey, I cannot be outdone in the brownie department. How's about the recipe. I'm sitting here drooling on my computer looking at that picture.

Mom

Anonymous said...

Hey what about me huh? Don't I count, or am I one of those friends you have to plan in advance. I DON'T THINK SO!!! CALL ME UP chica and I'll come over. ;->

Evelyn

Bonnie said...

Amazing brownies yummy! Neighbor friends are the best for spontaneous food and conversation!