Tuesday, January 22, 2008

"Just so you know, people who have seen this movie have complained about motion sickness..."



So, G-Dub and I went to see the movie Cloverfield last night, and
I. Loved. It.

Here's why:

Firstly, it's so rare nowadays that movies maintain any semblance of mystery- usually a trailer gives away so much, there's no point in going to see the movie because you already know what happens. With Cloverfield, pretty much all I knew going in was that it was a New York City disaster movie... what else would anyone need to know? (Hence my lack of specifics below, should any of you be planning to go out and see it)

Secondly, this movie is different than your typical disaster flick- it's a dizzying thriller which deals less in fakey effects, and more in the real fear of trying to survive in the midst of the unknown. It gives you just enough disaster to keep you on the edge of your seat, but it doesn't indulge itself with too much gore and cross over into campiness. It's a movie that makes you ask, "what would I do?"

Thirdly, I appreciate that the story is told through a unique perspective, which really captures the humanity of the main characters and brings a freshness to the storytelling. Though the erratic motion of handheld video can be dizzying and frustrating at times (for some, to the point of inducing motion sickness... not in our theatre, fortunately), there is a heightened sense of panic and immediacy, as you join the characters in their quest for survival.

Though I doubt this movie will be up for any Oscar nominations, its a perfect movie for anyone looking for a good popcorn flick to see with their buddies. My only recommendation? Don't see it alone.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is the last time I'm taking a movie recommendation from you! Lol just kidding. Me, my dad and Max went to go see it and it started off okay but it just got tiresome and we kept waiting for the movie to switch to a different view but it never did so we left about 30mins in, I don't doubt that it was a good movie I just think they could have made it way better with less movement like that.

I could have gotten that experience for free in traffic. But I did get $5 from my dad for talking him into going. Don't know how that works but oh well.